Sports practice requires fit and healthy individuals to face the challenges imposed by the performance of physical exercises, whether they are exercises for healthy and recreational purposes or in competitive sports, where the demands reach their maximum expression.
It is essential first of all at the beginning and during sports practice, an evaluation of the physical capacities and the condition of the practitioner is carried out, without knowing the functional state of the athlete there are great risks of damage to health, or in the worst of cases. cases can cause even death; there are many reports of sudden death during intense exercise that have occurred in recent years
Functional assessments have the following purposes:
- Know the physical and mental health status of the exercise practitioner
- Determine the level of development of the general and specific physical capacities of the sport (Strength, speed, Endurance, flexibility, etc.)
- Morphological and somatotype evaluation
- Prescription of exercises appropriate to the level found in the evaluations
- Evaluate the Training process throughout its preparation journey.
- Evaluation of energy systems and devices (Cardiovascular, respiratory, metabolic, neuromuscular)
- Nutritional assessment
- Psychological evaluation
- Hematological and biochemical evaluation (Hb, glycemia, lactate, urea, hormones, etc.)
- Know the level of tolerance to Training loads, together with the fatigue indicators.
The functional evaluation is carried out through laboratory and field tests, and through standardized and validated tests the integral evaluation of the athlete is carried out, offering information on the initial and developmental level during the performance of physical exercises.
The tests carried out take into account the sex, age, sport and level of condition of the practitioner.
It is important in the functional evaluation to have technology that allows the precision of the evaluations, the reliability and objectivity of the results are extremely important to establish training programs and physical exercises, which achieve improvement in the performance of the practitioner